Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile
US Biography Project

The John Williamson Family

Posted by Carol Eddleman 
The John Williamson Family
June 14, 2011 01:34PM
THE JOHN WILLIAMSON FAMILY

The Williamsons represent another pioneer family interwoven
into the early history of Colerain and Springfield townships in
Hamilton County. Like many of the other pioneers their roots were
in New Jersey. They were the Dutch ancestry and can be traced
back to the 1500's.

John Williamson, sixth generation of the family, married Lu-
cretia Tice. He served in the American Revolution under Generals
Green and Washington. After his death in 1800, six of his child-
ren decided to come to Ohio, the others remaining in New Jersey
with the mother. Those emigrating to Hamilton County were John,
William, Jacob, Anna, Mary, and Garret.

John Williamson (1769 - 1849) married Hannah Jane Smith (1771-
1850). He located near Colerain Pike in Section 10 and built a
log home. Most of his ten children were born in New Jersey.
Jacob (1793) and Cornelius (1795) served in the War of 1812. John
(1796), Lucretia (1797), Simeon (1801), Amos (1803), Catherine
(1806), David (1808), and Ann (1810) were probably born in New
Jersey. Henry, born 1814, was likely born in the log cabin near
Colerain Pike.

On April 6, 1812, John Williamson, Benajah Stout, and Abizer
Miles served as judges of the election in Colerain Township, held
at the home of James Hardin.

William Williamson, brother of the above John, married Hannah
Hoagland. Their chiIdren were: Amos, John, Asher, Sarah, (who
married a Pinney) Andrew, (husband of Sarah Featherland) and Levi.
Nelson's History of Hamilton County (1894) states that William and
Asher owned most of the site of present day Dunlap, selling it to
Mr. Parker (who laid out part of the village). In 1827 Asher Will-
iamson was elected Constable. His name is found through 1830.
William Williamson became Supervisor of Highways in 1822. In 1828
he was the Overseer of the Poor. Both William and Asher are not
found after 1830.

Jacob Williamson, another brother of John, married Sarah Hoag-
land (possibly a sister of Hannah). Their children were Amos (1796-
1870), married (1) Catherine Skillman and (2) Clarissa Kilbourne).
Jonathon, John C. ("Colonel") and Rowena never married. Sarah (mar-
ried Jonah Johns) and Docea Ann (married James Johns). Mary, who
married three times, Rebecca, unmarried, and Lucretia, who married
John Pegg, completed the family. Jacob Williamson lived back from
Pippin Road just north of Springdale. He sold the land to the West
Branch of Millcreek Valley Baptist Church for the church and ceme-
tery on Springdale Road. He and his family were members of this
church and some of them are buried in the cemetery.

Garret Williamson married Abigail Moorehead and had six chil-
dren. They located in what is now Springdale in Springfield Town-
ship where Garret was a cabinet maker.

Of the children of John and Hannah (Smith) Williamson, Jacob,
Cornelius and Amos don't seem to have married. John (1796 - 1870)
married Margaret Skillman (1801 - 1876) and are buried in the Bap-
tist Cemetery as are his parents. John and Margaret were the par-
ents of Nancy, wife of Jesse Bevis, David, Benjamin, who married
Rebecca Scott, Simeon, who married Elizabeth Norris, John (married
Molly ----- and moved to Illinois), Thomas, Hannah, and Joseph.
Lucretia (1799 - 1849) married Samuel Martin (1797 - 1870).
Simeon (1801) married Eliza Robinson and is buried at Seven Mile
in Butler County. Catherine (1806 - 1892) married Willet Pottenger
of an old Butler County pioneer family. He bought the farm on
Stout Road opposite Charles Stout's land. This farm was later own-
ed by John M. Stout, later by Elmer Stout (just oppoiste the site
of the new high school). Catherine Williamson Pottenger evidently
removed to Seven Mile in Butler County to her husband's family home
after his death March 3, 1873, for her brother Jacob died there in
December of the same year.

David Williamson (1808 - 1878) married Elizabeth Huston on
May 22, 1833. She was the daughter of Paul and Jane (Charters)
Huston. They had four children: Hannah Jean, Paul H., Mary L,
and Albert. David Williamson was an edge tool maker and was an
early pioneer of Colerain Township. He built a home at Colerain
and Poole Roads. ("Ellenwood" formerly the property of Al Werner,
now Fernbach-Werner Nature Preserve).

The eldest son, Paul H. Williamson, had a very colorful and
exciting life. He was educated at Farmer's College in College Hill
and taught for a year after graduating. He went to Iowa in May of
1857 and farmed until the fall of the same year. At that time,
accompanied by three friends, he went by wagon through Iowa, Miss-
ouri, and Kansas. He taught school at Aviston, Illinois the foll-
owing winter. He started overland to California in April of 1858,
meeting a wagon train at Leavenworth. They traveled by way of
Sante Fe and across New Mexico. The party was attacked by Indians
on the Colorado River. Eight of the party were killed, stock and
wagons were lost and, suffering great privations, the party was
forced to return seven hundred miles to Albuqueraue. Here Paul
H. Williamson left the train, went to El Paso, Mexico, and after
two weeks joined a Mexican wagon train to San Antonio, Texas. He
then taught school at Sequin, Texas. In the fall of 1859 he journ-
ied by horseback to Columbia, Arkansas, where he taught until the
outbreak of the Civil War. He then returned to Cincinnati where
he passed the remainder of his life. He served as deputy clerk of
the Probate Court and later as County Auditor of Hamilton County.
He married Miss Ada Jaynes of a pioneer Clermont County family in
1870.

Hannah Jean Williamson married Thomas Cooper and moved to Ill-
inois. Mary E. Williamson married Albert Berger of Northside.
They had three sons: John David Berger, Albert Leopold Berger,
and Paul W. Berger. Mrs. Bessie Lois Muegel, wife of Dr. A.L. Meu-
gel, Colerain Ave., is a granddaughter of Albert and Mary E. (Wil-
liamson) Berger.

On February 20, 1867 Albert Williamson, youngest son of David
Williamson, married Sarah D. Harris at her father's country home
on Cary Road (Kipling). This home was torn down and replaced by
the Powell Crosley home, more recently the site of Providence Hos-
pital). Sarah was the daughter of Nathaniel and Margaret (Nelson)
Harris. Her father was the son of Francis A. Harris of Virginia,
an early pioneer of Cincinnati. Her mother came from Lancaster,
Pennsylvania and was a direct descendant of Lord Nelson.

The couple lived at the Harris home on Kipling Road for sev-
eral years. George Harris Williamson was born there. Then they
moved to the David Williamson farm (Colerain and Poole Roads)
where Victor, who lived only sixteen months, was born. After this
they moved to Chestnut Street in Cincinnati where Albert Warren
Williamson was born. In 1874 they moved to Chase Avenue, North-
side, where Alice and Horace Greely Williamson were born. This
remained the Williamson home.

Horace G. Williamson became well known as a poet and humorist.
One volume of poems is "Old Hollyhocks", another, extremely inter-
esting, is entitled "Things Worth While". Many of these poems
have been written about people and places in the Colerain Township
area. "The Fiddler's Old Violin" tells of the dedication of Bevis
Tavern at Colerain and Dry Ridge Roads. A copy of this poem can
be seen enlarged and framed in the West Union Room of the Colerain
Hills Office, First National Bank.

Horace G. Williamson was killed when his automobile skidded into
a loading platform on Fourth Street in Cincinnati.

This is a very imperfect and limited account of the John
Williamson family, but may rouse interest in adding more to the
accounts.

(Source: Bicentennial publication: Our Heritage: Colerain Township, Ohio. Colerain Twp. Bicentennial Committee, 1976.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

(c) 1997 - 2011 US Biographies Project

Return to the US Biographies Project