Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile
US Biography Project

English, Evarts Bland

Posted by ceddleman 
English, Evarts Bland
March 07, 2007 08:45PM
"A HISTORY OF THE DAVIESS-McLEAN BAPTIST ASSOCIATION IN KENTUCKY,
1844-1943" by Wendell H. Rone. Probably published in 1944 by
Messenger Job Printing Co., Inc., Owensboro, Kentucky, pp. 384-385.
Used by permission. [Breckinridge]

EVARTS BLAND ENGLISH: Elder E. B. English was born on April 3, 1880,
at Stephensport, Kentucky, and is the son of Harvey S. and Mary Hall
English. His conversion took place on November 12, 1892, at the
Stephensport Baptist Church. He was baptized into the fellowship of
the Church by Rev. B. A. Copass, who was then serving as pastor of
the Church. The call of God to preach the Gospel came to our brother
in his seventeenth year but it was not until he reached his twentieth
year that he obeyed the call. In consequence he was licensed to
preach by the Stephensport Church on October 23, 1900.
Previous to his being licensed to preach our subject had made
preparation to study medicine and had entered a Louisville Medical
College at the age of nineteen with an honorary scholarship. The
call of the Lord was too plain and he quit school to enter the
ministry. Brother English spent one and one-half years in the Normal
Department of the State College at Lexington, Kentucky, and then
finished three years of work in the Southern Baptist Theological
Seminary at Louisville, Kentucky. For some time prior to this he had
followed the occupations of school teacher and farmer.
The First Baptist Church of Nevada, Missouri, ordained our
subject on June 28, 1901, through a council composed of Elders W. H.
English, G. W. Duncan, T. F. Kelly, T. G. Hendrix, and R. M. Inlow.
Since being ordained he has served the following Churches in Kentucky
and Missouri: Hill Grove, New Bethel, Garfield, Raymond, Hardinsburg
(twice), Lewisport, Corinth, Sandy Hill, Walnut Street, Owensboro,
Ky. Hartford, Walton's Creek, Drakes Creek, Berea, Goshen, Clover
Creek, South Union near Hopkinsville, Ky., Leitchfield, Clay, Buck
Grove, Bewleyville, near Irvington, Ky. He spent ten years at
Hardinsburg, three and one-half years at Walnut Street in Owensboro,
four years at South Union near Hopkinsville, three years at
Leitchfield, and eight years at the First Church in Clay, Ky. At
present he is serving three churches in Breckenridge [sic] County
Association.
He led in the rebuilding of the Hill Grove Church in 1902, as
the building had been destroyed by fire. He was in the constitution
of the Garfield Church and became the first pastor. The Walnut
Street Church in Owensboro made a decided improvement in their
building at a cost of $15,500. Brother English led the Church also
in having the first graded Sunday School in the history of the
Association. Over $10,000 was raised and paid on the building debt
of the Leitchfield Church during his pastorate there and a new
building was completed for the Berea Church at a cost of $17,700.
Rev. Byron C. S. DeJarnette was ordained to the ministry during his
second pastorate at the Hardinsburg Church.
Brother English served as the Secretary-Treasurer of the
Breckenridge [sic] Association Mission Board from 1919 to 1922 and in
that time never missed a meeting. He preached the annual sermon
before the Breckenridge [sic] Association in 1906, 1909, and 1920,
and before the Ohio Valley Association in 1936, and before the Salem
Association in 1938. He also served as Moderator of the Ohio Valley
Association.
Our subject has been a pastor-evangelist and has had the
privilege of seeing about 1,500 persons profess faith in Christ as
Saviour [sic]. Of that number he has baptized about 800. The
organization of the English Baptist Church near Stephensport was the
result of a revival meeting conducted by our brother and Rev. J. T.
Lewis. There were about 50 professions of faith in this meeting and
about 45 baptisms.
On May 15, 1907, Brother English married Miss Judith
DeJarnette, the daughter of Allie M. and Judith Squires DeJarnette.
Two sons and one daughter were born to this union. She has worked
together with her husband through the years and was instrumental in
organizing the W. M. U. Of Breckenridge [sic] Association. A brother
pastor said of her: "As a pastor's wife she cannot be excelled".
One of the greatest joys our brother has is the fact that he
has been the pastor of three Churches that gave more to missions and
benevolences during his pastorate than was paid to local expenses
including the pastor's salary. These Churches were: Hardinsburg,
Goshen, near Glendean, and West Union, near Hopkinsville, Ky. This
is a unique record in itself. The facts concerning the life of our
brother give full evidence that he has been "a good minister of Jesus
Christ".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

(c) 1997 - 2011 US Biographies Project

Return to the US Biographies Project