A. G. MOORE.
Probably every one in Palestine and nearly every one in Anderson county
knows personally and esteems the genial "Gus" Moore, the present chief
of police of Palestine. Mr. Moore has spent all his life in Texas, and
his career has been known among his fellows from his young up. He spent
his early life as a farmer and subsequently engaged in business at
Palestine, but for twenty years has been chiefly occupied with official
duties. Mr. Moore is a citizen, who by faithful and intelligent
service, has contributed no unimportant share to the good government
and well being of Texas, and he is one of the most popular men in
official life in his city and county.
A. G. Moore was born in Georgetown, Quitman county,
Georgia. October 15, 1869, a son of James H. and Mary Elizabeth
(McCloud) Moore. The mother died while he was in infancy and he has no
recollection of her. The parents, both of whom were natives of Georgia,
were married in that state and the family is of Scotch-Irish descent.
The first ancestors came to America at a very early date, and some of
the members of the early generation fought in the Colonial wars. By
occupation the father was a planter, who worked his estate with the aid
of slave labor, and during the Civil war enlisted in a Georgian
regiment. About a year after his enlistment he was desparately wounded
and returned home unable to discharge the duties of soldier any longer.
In February, 1880, he moved to Texas, coming by way of Galveston, and
locating in Sabine county. From that county he moved to Anderson county
and located upon the noted old Pool plantation, which was his home
until his death which occurred July 1, 1888. The town of Slocum now
stands upon this plantation. The father was a plain, unassuming man
whose sterling integrity and common sense, gave him a high reputation
among his associates, who performed the duties of life in a quiet
manner and never sought notoriety. He was a Christian gentleman and a
devout member of the Baptist church.
Mr. A. G. Moore is the only survivor of this family. His
brother Edward died as a child. There are two half-brothers, Sylvester
"Sid" Grayham of Anderson county, and Thomas Moore, whose whereabouts
are unknown. Until 1889, Mr. Moore remained at home and was engaged in
the pursuits of farming. In the meantime he had acquired a substantial
education in the local schools. He then entered upon a business course
at Palestine and continued as one of the local merchants until 1892. On
the thirteenth of April, that year, he was appointed to a place on the
police force and was also for nine years deputy marshal. Subsequently
he was promoted to assistant chief of police, an office which he held
for two years, and in May, 1912, became chief of police.
On December, 1892, Mr. Moore married Miss Elizabeth
Eleanor Davis, a native of Anderson county, and a daughter of R. H. and
Emeline (Douthitt) Davis. The Davis and Douthitt families are among the
oldest in central Texas, and their descendants are now scattered all
over the state. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are the parents of four children,
namely: Ava Jewel, Edgar Lee, Harry Gilbert, and Arno Grayham.
The family are members of the Christian church, and Mr. Moore is
affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Woodmen of the World and
the Fraternal Union of America. Mrs. Moore, who has a popular place in
the social circles of Palestine, is an active member o fthe Lady
Maccabees of the World.
History of Texas and
by Frank W. Johnson.
The American Historical Society. Chicago, 1914. Vol. III,