Extracted from Heart
O' Texas News
of 30 April 1931
Mr. Brook, born in England, came to McCulloch County with his father, James
Brook, about 1884. Lewis was then 17 years of age. He married
in Brady 17 October 1891, Miss Charlotte Shaw of San Antonio.
Starting with a small herd of 50 cattle which he ran on free range, he bought, soon after coming to McCulloch, a first tract of land-160 acres. At the time of his retirement he owned in excess of 28,000 acres in 3 tracts-one on Brady Creek, one at Camp San Saba straddling the River San Saba, and one on Katemcy Creek southward of Camp San Saba.
He was for a number of years a director of the Commercial National Bank and served as vice president of that institution.