20 October 1964
W. M. (Marion) Deans, who spent a lifetime of public service in McCulloch
County, died Friday morning at 5 o'clock in Brady Hospital after a several
month's illness. He was 82.
Funeral services were held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Wilkerson Funeral Home chapel, the Rev. Bill Boswell, pastor of the First Christian Chuirch conducting, and burial followed in Voca Cemetery.
Survivors include his wife, one son, Earl Deans of Voca, two grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; four brothers, John Deans of Voca, Otha, Jot, and Reef Deans, all of San Angelo, and one sister, Mrs. L. L. Banta, also of San Angelo.
Judge Deans, former county school superintendent and county judge of McCulloch County, was born at Voca, Nov. 13, 1881, and had either lived there or in Brady all of his life. "I never lived anywhere else and never want to live anywhere else," he once said.
Retired since 1954, after completing his second hitch as county judge, he had done income tax work and "piddled around" at his farm at Voca, as he had once remarked.
He was a member of the First Christian Church and served as Sunday School teacher and superintendent for many years., He also was a pastmaster of the Brady Masonic Lodge.
Judge Deans had been a ranch hand, school teacher, justice of the peace, county school superintendent and even newspaper proprietor-all in McCulloch County. He got into politics naturally enough. His father before him, John Deans, was county commissioner for Precinct 2, back in 1900-02, and his grandfather, F. M. Miller, was McCulloch County's second sheriff serving from 1880 to 1892.
In fact, it was Mr. and Mrs. Miller who reared Mr. Deans after his mother died when he was eight days old, and among the judge's earliest recollections were feeding prisoners at the county jail. He and his grandparents lived in a house where M&S Hospital now stands.
Judge Deans taught school at Voca, Brady and Nine, and he was working on a ranch when he married the former Winnie Bradley in Brady on Dec. 17, 1902.
For a few months in 1905-06 he served as justice of the peace in Precinct 1, and then was elected to a full two-year term as justice of the peace of Precinct 2 (1912-14).
That stretch as a newspaper proprietor came during his youth. He bought the old Brady Enterprise and operated it in partnership with the late Herbert Adkins. He used to say that he never did know anything about the business, other than he was "pretty good at cranking the old newspaper press when the gasoline engine went out." And it failed often, he reminisced, several years ago.
Judge Deans' longest period in office was as county school superintendent. He was appointed in 1917 and served through 1928. He was re-elected but refused to qualify. In 1940 he was elected county judge and served three terms, then was named again in 1950, serving throuth 1954 when he retired.
(Compiler's Note: W. M. Deans' diploma from Brady High School is dated 26 April, 1900. John P Sheridan was president of the board; John R. McGee was secretary; W. N. Ellis principal of the high school.)
Submitted by: Loann