Submitted by Murray
and Jeanette Jordan
JOSEPH LEWIS JORDAN
Joseph Lewis Jordan came from Virginia to Texas by ship, traveling and living first in Victoria, and then north to Brady in 1882. The family moved to Brady by covered wagon, with the children walking as able. The first meal they had when they got to Brady was an antelope Joseph killed. They ate under the oak tree in the north alley beside the present Jordan home.
He was an architect and builder. He built many of the fine homes in town. He and his wife, Nancy, were charter members of the First Baptist Church. He built the first church building, a white wooden structure on the same lot where the Bible Baptist Church now stands.
Joseph had a livery stable in town and Granny would prepare meals for men who came to town and kept their horses there. He also built caskets and Granny would decorate the insides of caskets at home and then for the O.D. Mann Funeral Home (a furniture store).
Joseph suffered from Bright's disease. He had been confined to bed for two months before his death.
Structures built by Joseph Lewis Jordan: the old jail in Brady, which now serves as a museum, homes at 1006 S. Elm (G. Rollie White home), 906 S. Bridge (Charlie White home), 900 S. Bridge (Dr. McCall home), 704 S. Bridge (Willie White home), 201 Crothers (Sam McCollum home), 800 Crothers (Gansel/Hays home), 902 Crothers (Campbell home), 901 S. Church (Johnny White home, first built on S. Bridge then moved to Church St.), 1314 S. Wall St. (John Seymour and Mary White Wall home; now Dick Winters home).
Sources: Jordan Family Bible, Joseph's obituary, and Pauline Jordan Parker.