Fernie Lavada Wood was born on June 3, 1906 in Grit,
Texas. Her father was Ambrose William (Am) Wood and her mother was
Lula Bell Farris Wood. She had 5 bothers and sisters: Clarence 1898-1899,
LaRue Wood Dean 1899-1987, "Vester" William Sylvester 1901-1937, Oliver
Kirby 1904-1970, and Flora Mae 1908-1910.
Lavada attended high school in Melvin, TX. and was later awarded her teaching certificate from North Texas State Teachers College in Denton, Tx. in 1928. She was a teacher in the Fife area for several years.
She married Maurice E. Kidd on November 18, 1930 and lived with him on their ranch just north of the Mason-McCulloch County line until 1950 when they moved to Brady. In addition to being a wife to Maurice and mother to their daughter, Louann, she cared for her mother for many years following the death of her father. They were all members of the First Christian Church in Brady.
Following many years of illness with Parkinson's Disease and Kidney Disease, she died on April 5, 1975. The funeral service was held at Wilkersons Memorial Chapel conducted by Dr. Bill Boswell with burial in the Bethel Cemetery in Camp Air, Tx.
She was survived by her husband, Maurice; her daughter, Louann Kidd Hall and husband Bill; a sister, Mrs. LaRue Dean of Clearwater, Florida; and three grandchildren, Linda Lou Hensley, Kathy Ann Smithson and Dan Hall.