The Brady Standard
March 7, 1936
J. H. Snodgrass, 53, isn't a native of McCulloch, but he did the next best
thing – he moved to McCulloch with his parents when an infant, the family
locating at Stacy, then known as Browntown. The place of his birth
was Trickham, Coleman county, and the date, March 1, 1883. a schoolhouse
was all that comprised Browntown in those days, and about 1998 or'99 the
name was changed to Stacy in the honor of the late M. J. Stacy, who built
the first store building at that place.
Mr. Snodgrass recalls that he had to go to Waldrip for the family mail, a distance of ten miles, crossing the Colorado river twice to get there. He helped Mr. Stacy build his store building, the structure being raised in just one day's time. When Mr. Stacy made application for a postoffice at his place, he sent in his own name, which proved acceptable to the postoffice department, and the town has since been known by the name of its pioneer merchant.
Mr. and Mrs. Snodgrass have six children, five boys, Bruce, Duard and J. H., Jr., Coleman, Percy and Cecil Snodgrass of Stacy, and one daughter, Mary Bell Snodgrass, at home. He is a member of the first Christian church, and has been an Odd Fellow for 30 years past. Among other useful services to his home community and the county at large, Mr. Snodgrass for two years past has been chairman of the McCulloch county Cotton Control committee. He was never outside the state until last year when he made two trips, the first into Old Mexico, and later as a member of the farmer's delegation which journeyed to Washington, D. C., where they met President Roosevelt and gave a demonstration in appreciation of what the administration had done for the agricultural interests.